Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Southern-Style Deviled Eggs


Print

So it's Easter season (well, it was) and one thing that is for sure, there is always an abundance of Easter Eggs in most everyone's home!  I think the two most common ways to use those eggs up include Egg Salad Sandwiches and of course, Deviled Eggs.

I know, I know...Deviled Eggs.  Boring!  But, when I started this blog, I vowed to include all things good and in this case, that means Deviled Eggs!  You'd actually be surprised by how many people don't know how to make them.  That said, there are actually several ways and it's really more of a personal preference, what you grew up with and where you live.

Let me explain.  See, growing up, Deviled Eggs were always at every get-together, party, reunion, etc.  There really wasn't much to them other than a little mayo, yellow mustard and some paprika on top.  That's it!  Nothing fancy.at.all.

But in the South, they like to put pickles in their Deviled Eggs.  That's right.  I said it.  Pickles.  Can you believe it?!  When Chris asked whether I was making them for Easter, I casually said "No."  I hadn't planned on it because A). I didn't color eggs this year and B).  I didn't think about making them.  Can I tell you that he looked at me as if I were crazy?!  Well, it came to be that he thought it was tradition to have them for Easter and I can see where he would get that.

So, I said I would make them.  I had planned on using the traditional method I grew up with, except I thought I would doctor them up a bit and use Dijon Mustard instead.  Then comes the next question: "Are you gonna put pickles in them?"  What?!  No!  Then came the look.  Again.  Okay, fine, I'll put pickles in them.  All the while thinking...ew...gross.  But this was one of those moments where I ate my words!  Pickles in Deviled Eggs are delish!  I used the Claussen pickles and, in my opinion, they were better than any other kind (even though I've never had them with any other kind) because they added a hint of garlic, which you especially can't go wrong with!  I also made them a little fancy by piping the filling into the egg instead of spooning it in...so pretty!

Southern-Style Deviled Eggs

Ingredients
6 Eggs, hard boiled
1 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 lg. Pickle Spear, chopped finely
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

Directions
Slice each egg in half and carefully remove the cooked yolks into a small bowl; set cooked eggs off to the side or on a serving dish.

Using the back of a fork, press into the yolk mixture, breaking it up into small crumbles. Add in the mayo, mustard and pickles; mix to combine until it forms a smooth mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Using a pastry bag and med-large round tip (or resealable bag with tip cut off), carefully pipe the yolk mixture into each egg half. Lightly sprinkle paprika on top and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note: The measurements listed above may not be exact as I typically just throw things in and alter it by taste and/or sight. Just use your judgement to make it according to your taste!

Yield: 6 Servings
Source: With a Cherry on Top

2 comments:

Amy and Jeff on April 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM said...

I put pickles in my deviled eggs too. So yummy!! These look great.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper on April 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM said...

I had no idea that people DON'T put pickles in their deviled eggs! So it's really just us Southerners??? How funny!! :-)

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice