Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Taco Mac 'n' Cheese


Print

Seriously, who doesn't love a good bowl of mac 'n' cheese, especially the homemade kind?  Don't get me wrong, I've been known to treat myself to my fair share of Velveeta Shells and Cheese from time to time and even the stuff that comes in a blue box as well, but the homemade version is so good, so comforting and so easy to make!

The possibilities are endless when it comes to add-ins and mix-ins for mac 'n' cheese.  In college, I loved mixing it with a little tuna and frozen peas...kind of a semi-homemade version of tuna casserole (and on the cheap too)!  But one thing I've never done before is make a taco version.  And with my love for Mexican-inspired food, for the life of me, I can't think why!  Taco Mac has been all the buzz lately in the online foodie community; it's sort of a homage to Hamburger Helper.  Remember that stuff?!  I used to eat that a lot in college too and I'm not gonna lie....it's pretty darn tasty, but also pretty darn bad for you! 

So I had a few different versions of Taco Mac bookmarked to make, but in the shower the other day (yes, I think about food in the shower and everywhere else and at all times of the day), a few ingredients came to mind that would be perfect pairings with the mac 'n' cheese recipe to replicate the currently infamous Taco Mac.  While most everyone else used ground beef or turkey, I decided to spice it a bit and use chorizo!  Sauteed in some diced onions and poblano peppers, it flavored this dish in so many other ways than just using plain old taco seasoning.  I used a mixture of Mexican cheeses for the sauce and, of course, my homemade taco seasoning.  It was so creamy and so delicious, I am highly anticipating the leftovers for lunch today!

Taco Mac 'n' Cheese

Ingredients
1 lb. of Chorizo
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Sm. Poblano Pepper, diced
1 lb. Pasta (I used Rotini)
1 1/2 cups Milk
8 oz. Cream Cheese
3 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
2 cups Mexican-blend Cheese, shredded (any kind of cheese would suffice, especially Monterey Jack)
2 Tbsp. Sour Cream

Directions
Cook pasta in large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente (about 10 minutes).  In a large skillet, begin browning the chorizo over med-high heat.  Drain the grease from the pan and mix in the onion and pepper; saute' until tender (about 5 minutes).  Drain the pasta and place back into the pot.

In a small saucepan, mix together the milk and cream cheese.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted and the sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).  Stir in the taco seasoning; mix well.

Pour the chorizo mixture into the pasta and top with the sauce; mix together.  Add in the cheese and stir until it's melted in.  Mix in the sour cream until incorporated into the pasta.  Serve immediately.

Yield: 4-6 Servings
Source: With a Cherry on Top

1 comments:

ashley on May 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM said...

yummmm chorizo and poblanos! i bet this one would be particularly good with black beans too!

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice