Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tilapia with Lemon-Butter Sauce


Print

I mentioned previously that one of our resolutions for this year was to focus on getting healthier.  They say that happiness can make you fat and it has!  I am extremely happy (happier than I've ever been) but I've also packed on a few extra pounds.  I have a little frame so it's very noticeable when I do gain a little weight.  I still fit into my clothes, but they're definitely getting tight and that is a sure sign that something needs to be done!

I didn't want to diet though.  I've tried zillions of diets over the years only to be left discouraged and giving up, ahem, after a couple of weeks.  I've heard time and time again that being healthy should be a lifestyle and not considered a "diet."  Let's face it, dieting doesn't work.  We needed to adopt a healthier approach to eating and staying fit.  And it needs to become a way of life, not a punishment that most "diets" feel like. 

I've always tried to take a somewhat healthy approach to my cooking....I don't use a lot of salt, I make a lot of my own seasonings, I try to avoid most processed foods, etc.  We always had fruit and veggies on-hand, but not enough to get the proper nutrition we needed.  So we decided that we're going to incorporate more healthy foods into our life...more fish, more poultry, more fruit, more veggies, more water, etc.  Since doing so, we've felt a noticeable difference in how we feel!

Yes, we do have the occasional bag of potato chips or homemade cookies, but we don't devour it's entire contents in 1 or 2 days!  We eat in moderation.  We still go out to dinner on the weekends and while sometimes we choose healthier options (as healthy as you can get going out), sometimes I just want a big, juicy cheeseburger!  Or a slice of pizza!  And that's okay, because I do it in moderation and I don't pig out until I'm miserable. 

I made this fish last night and it was unbelievably good!  The fish, alone, was really tasty but after adding the lemon-butter sauce, it was phenomenal!  And so simple to make!  It took, maybe, 15 minutes at the most to throw together.  The fish was light and flavorful and the sauce wasn't too heavy...just a nice balance of flavor.  The sauce would dually be good on chicken as well!  This little guy is definitely going to make it's way into our regular rotation of favorites!


Tilapia with Lemon-Butter Sauce

Ingredients
1 lb. Tilapia or any type of hearty, white fish
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, divided
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 Tsp. Flour
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
2 Tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Med. Tomato, diced


Directions
Pat dry the fillets and season both sides with salt and pepper.

In a large pan, heat 2 Tbsp. butter over med-high heat.  Add in the fillets and sear 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through.  Remove the fillets from the pan and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. butter over med-high heat.  Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).  Stir in the flour and cook for an additional minute.  Gradually add in the chicken stock, followed by the lemon juice, stirring constantly until a smooth consistency forms.  If the sauce thickens, add in more stock to get the consistency you prefer.

Spoon the sauce over the fillets and top with the diced tomatoes.  Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 Servings
Source: Adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride

6 comments:

pup on January 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM said...

Yum!! This looks great. For me it seems that fish is just not something that I cook that often-I don't know if it's that I am slightly intimidated by seafood or what, but this seems like a no fuss easy meal!!

Unknown on January 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM said...

I agree in that sometimes seafood and fish can be initimidating to fix (I, for one, love scallops but I have never tried to prepare them myself)! Fish is super easy to cook and I find that searing it (as mentioned in this recipe) is a great way to cook it...it provides a really tender, but flavorful fish and the sear on the outside gives it additional flavor and really nice coloring.

Just take baby steps when starting out and go from there! You'll find that fish is actually quite easy and fast to cook and the health benefits are great too!

Carrie on January 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM said...

I am not a big fish person, but my MIL made some tilapia and I loved it. So I might have to give it a try.

The Hip Hostess on January 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM said...

I was just thinking about a new recipe for fish, this is it! Looks so good and I like that it's light. It's now on my to make list for company this week. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Giving this a try tonight. I'll let you know how it comes out. Hubs is super excited :)

Sarah on March 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM said...

http://funsizesarah.blogspot.com/2011/03/lemon-butter-tilapia.html

this was awesome..I recommend this to anyone reading this recipe! :) Thanks!

Post a Comment

 

With a Cherry on Top Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice